September 27, 2013

CFS Chibougamau and GATR Site

I've heard Chibougamau mentioned on the 6 o'clock news when I was a child, while we ate dinner.  At the time had no idea where it was.  Well, now I not only know where it is, I also know there was a Pinetree Line station there!  Sounds like a good reason for a road trip.  The government has already cleaned up the property, unfortunately, so there doesn't look like there will be much to take pictures of.  At the very least it'll be one more Pinetree Line station off my bucket list.  CFS Chibougamau was built later than the initial Pinetree Line stations to fill in gaps in radar coverage in Northern Quebec.
The red circle on the map below show where the operations site was on top of Mount Bourbeau and to the East the GATR site near Lac Cummings on top of Mont Cummings.  Judging from recent satellite photos, it seems the previous site of the GATR site has been repurposed, and an independent secondary surveillance radar (ISSR) has been built where, or near where, the GATR stood.  I'm unsure if the concrete block GATR building was demolished or re-purposed.

I have not yet taken a trip to Chibougamau yet, but hope to in 2014.

CFS Chibougamau and GATR Site
Courtesy of The Atlas of Canada


CFS Chibougamau Operations Site

View Larger Map
 


CFS Chibougamau GATR Site:

View Larger Map



No comments:

Post a Comment