October 02, 2013

Department Of National Defence North American Air Defence Modernization Short Range Development Site

From my understanding, the Department Of National Defence North American Air Defence Modernization Short Range Development Site is a mock-up of a Northern Warning System facility.  As I don't plan to ever see a NWS system in place, this will likely be the closest I ever get!

I believe this test facility was built for the North American Air Defense Modernization (NAADM) project (~1987), and is/was run by Nasittuq.  I believe the land was leased from the local first nations community, but it is unclear to me how active the site is now.  Reportedly the site seems to have active video surveillance.


On my trip at the end of August 2013 I tried to take the shortest road to the site; unfortunately that road was blocked by a (in hindsight satellite photo-viewable) significant amount of water on the road.  I'm unsure if a culvert collapsed and the road washed out, or what happened, but the amount of water and the distance I would have had to cross in the Suburban seemed excessive since I didn't know what was under the water, didn't have a winch, and didn't have faith my tires would provide sufficient grip - so, I turned around.  The area is quite beautiful, but I didnt want to get stuck there.

Note the lack of solid dry road in the red circle

Gorgeous area, but I didn't want to be stuck there.





No comments:

Post a Comment