October 02, 2013

Sudbury Airport

In the early 1950s the Department of National Defence requested that Transport Canada upgrade or create several airports in support of the Pinetree Line radar defence network; Sudbury was one of those upgraded.  In August of 2013 I drove by the Sudbury Airport and checked out the hangers that I could see from the road; I didn’t see any that looked particularly old or architecturally fitting for anything from the 1950s.
I did notice from the Satellite images that the North-East section of the airport looks like it may have had additional hangers that have been demolished.  I'll need to reference to National Air Photo Library to tell if those were hangers in the early 1950s.  Considering that section of the airport is on the far side, away from the flow of regular civilian traffic, and not near any through-traffic, it would make a good place for military hangers.



View Larger Map


No comments:

Post a Comment